Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Monday, July 1, 2024

My own Kawandi Style Quilt

 

A kawandi quilt is a hand-stitched patchwork quilt made by the Siddis, descendants of African immigrants and brought to India by the Portuguese, French, English, Dutch, and Americans. The kawandi quilt is made from pieces of old and worn-out clothing collected from family members and friends.

I decided to make my own version using my collection of African fabrics but piecing with my sewing machine.

YouTube has a lot of tutorials on the technique; the pieces are sewn on a foundation piece of fabric started at the edges of the quilt and progressed inwards. 

 It's quite a fun way and quick way to finish a quilt with very little preparation. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...