Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Sunday, November 28, 2010

I'm starting...

I have been thinking for a while about starting a blog, to document my quilting interests and projects.  So after my daughter insistence here it goes...
I'll start by sharing what I am currently working on. Like all quilters I have many projects on the go which I'll share along the way. At the moment I am on a quest to reduce my small sized scrap fabrics.  I have a long way to go judging by the size of these boxes still !

I sorted my scraps by shape and size. I began by making 5" log cabin blocks  but still ended up with smaller odd size scraps. I used foundation piecing and have now completed 57 blocks. I'll continue to use my scraps to make more of these blocks and there will be no shortage of projects I can use them. 
I learnt this technique years ago in a class with Virginia Enright  (she published  a book called "Tiny Treasures") but I recently found a great  tutorial on on this technique;    http://www.wikihow.com/Foundation-Piece-a-Quilt-Block .
I have not thrown out any fabric greater than 1" so I still have lots of tiny scraps.  There are so many possibilities which will allow these smaller scraps to be used , like the needlecase I made sometime ago (5' x 3 1/2').
In the past 2 weeks I decided to use the smaller leftover scraps so  I made different type blocks, called "Crumb" blocks.
This  technique I found in http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml .
My initial blocks were 5" but I made a bigger block using 4 Crumb blocks.

I had great fun making these blocks and before I realised it, I had enough for a top and at least half the amount of blocks for another quilt. Once I finish the second quilt top   I'll post some pictures. 


It was such fun  playing with my scraps, combining colours I had never tried  before and having a great looking quilt with very little cost because even the fabrics for the sashings and borders came from my stash...

Now back to my sewing studio so I'll have some progress to post next time...

6 comments:

  1. I love it!I never quite know what to do with my scraps--I love the crumb quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of what you are doing Celia ... Next this is a must ... go over here to

    http://quiltinggallery.com/quilting-bloggers/

    Quilting Bloggers ... They have about 4,600 quilting bloggers just like you and you register by country which is just awesome! It's a great way to be connected AND to visit others! You look like a pro here already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally you have your own blog! i'm so happy! i hope we can get in touch again, we kind of lost touch...
    i love your ideas for using scraps. you have a long way to go indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay.... welcome to blog-land!! I like what you are doing with your crumbs and scraps..... now of course, I have to tip out my rubbish bin in my sewing room and start yet another pile of scraps!! Your little log cabins are so inspiring... why have I been tossing those tiny scraps??? Thanks for the link too!

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the crumb blocks and the stripe really sets the quilt off - good on you for starting a blog - I am new to blogging too and I am loving it. Enjoy and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on starting a blog - I am a new blogger too and have found it so much fun and interesting as I am "meeting" lots of lovely people and seeing lots of lovely projects - lots of inspiration and encouragement - enjoy and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...