Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Monday, December 2, 2013

Celtic Solstice Part 1 - Mystery Quilt - Bonnie Hunter -


I am gradually working through a couple of quilts but until the tops are done there is not much point blogging about it.

However, as per 'tradition' I am participating in this years mystery quilt ;  Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt - Celtic Solstice.

The quilters who have blogs are sharing their progress along the way and linking each step to Bonnie's Monday Mystery Link-Up so this posting has to be ready for that.

This is what I have done so far ; I am hoping to complete this step before the next clue that comes out Friday.


All the fabrics came from my stash and this time I am using combination of colours which I have not used before... actually pink is not a colour I immediately buy fabrics but I have enough around to use in this quilt.

As the first clue came out for us in Australia late Friday night I decided to give myself a good night's sleep and wake up early the next day. So on Saturday at 4am I was already in my studio (separate dwelling from the main house) with a cup of coffee,classic music playing and very excited... Actually so excited that I cut myself with a rotary blade !!! But that did not stop me and I kept going.
I started using the Tri Recs rulers but after making several blocks I decided to use paper piecing.
I love paper piecing technique so it's a breeze to get these blocks made... I even like the mess of trimming and tearing the paper. My mom thinks I am a bit mad getting up so early and making such a mess... But I am happy...

I am so grateful that Bonnie Hunter does this for us and especially this year with so many options of how to construct these blocks and all for FREE !


11 comments:

  1. OMG!!! 4am! I have been known to stay up sewing till 4, but getting out of bed at that hour....how am I going to keep up when we are working on the block next year!!?
    All the same, well done you! I'll be looking forward to your progress
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celia,

    passei para deixar um abraço e admirar seus trabalhos lindos! estou curiosa com este projeto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! We picked the same colors! I love pink though lol.. it is my fav.. What other colors have you picked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea to paper-piece! Didn't think of that! I also love your colors. I never make mystery quilts in the colors "prescribed" because I don't like making quilts that look like everyone else's. Mine will be lavender, lime, aqua and gold. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the pink and brown look beautiful.

    I read the clue when it arrived at midnight, but there's no way I could have got up at 4 to start sewing. You are dedicated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the pink/brown combination. What other colors are you using? Staying with the rest of Bonnies' colors? I switched mine to red/yellow/blue/green.

    Quilt on!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your colors so far! YOur pinks are more raspberry--love it. I initially didn't want much brown in mine--because I didn't have a lot of browns to use....but I have found some more. So, maybe I will stick the brown in for her blues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now with the paper piecing--don't you have to cut your fabrics a little bigger? Is that a lot of waste. I have only done one little piece with paper piecing--a couple years ago...so I don't really remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do a great color combination. Looks fantastic. :o))
    Brigitte/A

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...