Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Monday, November 21, 2011

Bowtie Blocks and Orca Bay - Part1

I have been experimenting with the Bowtie Quilt Block, using the technique explained on a tutorial made by The Missouri Quilt Company. The way its done is very quick and simple, so I made a table topper and ...


a table runner...

I have a number of these types of fabrics (fruits and plants), so I am thinking of using them up in similar projects.

Years ago, one of my first quilts was a Bowtie Quilt, I still have it...
It was made with templates and hand-pieced and took a lot longer to complete.


I've been antecipating the start of the mystery quilt Orca Bay designed by Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.
I have done mystery quilts before in a class setting but this is the first time I have participated via the web.

I will be using blue, white, red and yellow fabrics from my stash. I don't intent to buy any new fabrics for this entire quilt.


I selected blue and white/cream based fabrics for this block and went though all my fabrics and as much as possible I tried not to duplicate each fabric.



For the first part, we are required to make Hourglass blocks that measure 2 1/2" square.

Trimming each block using the "Quilt in a Day" ruler.



It was a lot of work involved but I'm glad its done ! 224 blocks.



Now waiting for Part 2 to be released on Friday... I wonder which colours will be in this section ?


My friend Jan-Marie sent me these cute blocks. We've been swapping with her since the beginning of the year and I always love her choice of fabrics. Thank you Jan-Marie !


11 comments:

  1. Wow - that is a lot of hour glass blocks! and I love the bow tie quilts! Glad yo like your stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celia
    I don't know how can you manage to do so much. 224 tiny blocks, a runner and a table topper. Oh My God!!! Your fantastic.
    I love your fabrics, I wish I could have a stash like yours but I have to order most of mine from the USA and it gets very expensive.
    Looking forward to see your finished Mystery quilt, I think it's gonna look awesome.
    Beijinhos,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celia,
    I am so glad Australia finally joined up. How amazing you have completed this week's assigment already. Your blog looks inspiring and I will explore it more. Lots of great stuff. Addedyou to my reading list.
    Greetings from Germany
    Dorothea

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how quickly you finished all those hourglass blocks. Your fabric choices are beautiful. Looks like you have lots to choose from. Great bow-ties too, have you seen the dimensional pattern where you tuck the middle part of the bow into the other seams as you sew? It is amazingly fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to comment yesterday and my work computer was like not letting me do it! I can't believe you got em all done so fast. They are so cute! The blues and the neutrals look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your color choices for the mystery! and congratulations on getting them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got lovely variety on your mystery units! I did mine starting with 3.5" squares too - many stages, but totally accurate :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great post, I love the table runner and table topper and the bow ties. Great start on the Orca Bay. Awesome blocks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on getting part 1 blocks completed! They look great. What other colors are you using? Cheers from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of wonderful things to see on your blog. Your blues for the Orca Bay quilt are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your sweet little hourglasses.

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...