Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Saturday, January 26, 2013

A long awaited dream !!!

After many years of dreaming and saving not to mention accummulating tops I purchased a longarm quilting machine.  It's the Handi Quilter HQ18 Avante.
It arrived yesterday and I have already spent a few hours playing with it.  
It took about four hours to be assembled and after a quick demo by the dealer I got some calico and had a bit of a practice.
It's very smooth to move and only requires the lightest touch to stitch.
My daughter (12 years old) also had a play and found it quick easy to use it.
There was no time like the present, so I took the plunge and loaded a 'real' top which I recently completed using my scraps.
It quilted through the many seams without any effort and it looks quite acceptable given the limited experience I have.  But I am under no illusions that many more hours of practice will be required to reach an acceptable level of workmanship. 
I need to increase my thread stock, watch some tutorials, buy some rulers and other gadgets to expand the designs, get to know all the features of the machine and at some stage do a class to pick up experience from other people.
The best thing so far is that I now only have 13 tops to quilt instead of 14 !!!

Keep tuned for more interesting blogposts soon.

8 comments:

  1. Uau!! Que espetáculo Célia!!!
    Parabéns pelo presente e bons trabalhos lindos como sempre!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the new quilter Celia and I will look forward to watching your progress. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a week! First you got a project published on a magazine and now a wonderful long-arm quilting machine.
    I have a feeling that you're gonna disappear into your quilting studio more often than usual.
    Can't wait to see your progress.
    Beijinhos,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man ... we're so excited for you Celia! Please if you haven't introduced yourself to online Leah Day and her "Free Motion Quilting Project" check in here!!! http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

    Look for her links AND book AND videos of 365 PLUS quilting patterns. She set herself the goal and surpassed it of thinking of new quilting patterns every day for a year. She's my idea of a quilting Goddess! I'm sure you could learn from her. She's amazing and I know you are too so your like minds should accomplish much! Congrats on quilting your very first top!

    Our love,
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT NEWS! I'm soooo excited for you. Longarm quilting is so different than quilting on a domestic machine. I know you'll pick it up quickly. I wish I lived closer so I could come play too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uau! Nothing like making a dream come true! Have a lot of fun with your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celia,

    isto é um sonho de consumo de todas as quilteiras, rsss. Deve ser muito bom trabalhar com esta máquina. Parabéns !!

    Beijinhos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parabéns Celia! É o meu sonho também!

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...