Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Monday, November 21, 2011

Bowtie Blocks and Orca Bay - Part1

I have been experimenting with the Bowtie Quilt Block, using the technique explained on a tutorial made by The Missouri Quilt Company. The way its done is very quick and simple, so I made a table topper and ...


a table runner...

I have a number of these types of fabrics (fruits and plants), so I am thinking of using them up in similar projects.

Years ago, one of my first quilts was a Bowtie Quilt, I still have it...
It was made with templates and hand-pieced and took a lot longer to complete.


I've been antecipating the start of the mystery quilt Orca Bay designed by Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.
I have done mystery quilts before in a class setting but this is the first time I have participated via the web.

I will be using blue, white, red and yellow fabrics from my stash. I don't intent to buy any new fabrics for this entire quilt.


I selected blue and white/cream based fabrics for this block and went though all my fabrics and as much as possible I tried not to duplicate each fabric.



For the first part, we are required to make Hourglass blocks that measure 2 1/2" square.

Trimming each block using the "Quilt in a Day" ruler.



It was a lot of work involved but I'm glad its done ! 224 blocks.



Now waiting for Part 2 to be released on Friday... I wonder which colours will be in this section ?


My friend Jan-Marie sent me these cute blocks. We've been swapping with her since the beginning of the year and I always love her choice of fabrics. Thank you Jan-Marie !