Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Thursday, April 12, 2012

What's on the bed, music totes & Hand Embroidered treasures

It's a lovely sunny day here in Melbourne and I'm inspired to share some of my treasures with you.

First off these two small totes I completed recently. They are gifts for my two cruise travelling companions who love Smooth Jazz like me. I don't think they read my blog so I won't spoil the surprise.



Bonnie Hunter's blog is hosting a 'party' for us to link pictures of a Quilt on our bed so I took a picture of what's on my daughter's bed.



I regularly change the quilts on the beds and other furniture, to make it more interesting around the house.



I collect a few things which I have shared in the blog (pins, thimbles, etc) but today I want to show you my collection of hand embroidered tray clothes and linen doilies with crocheted edges.

 

I probably have over 100 of these and most of them have been purchased at thrift stores over the years.


They are not as easy as it used to be, to find them and the prices have increased considerably.
I have also made a few myself as a child but these I use in my day to day living.


The motifs are delightful and some very quirky.


Most of them are on linen and some on cotton.  I love looking at them for ages and then place them back in the box..


Some have beautiful crocheted edgings and I appreciate them more because I love and used to do a lot of crochet work.


We are now in Autumn, so different plants are decorating the garden with their beautiful colour.
These are in the front of my garden.


The sun is so bright this morning that the photo doesn't do it's justice.


And finally as I was inspecting the buds of my camelia, I found it's first flower...


We can't beat nature on perfection !

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely blog you have! Your collection of doilies takes my breath away. Thank you so much for shareing on Bonnie's blog.
    Sallie from Stuart,Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, it's fun to share with like minded people...

      Delete
  2. Celia, how pretty that quilt is that is currently on your daughters' bed.... the bed is perfect too! I love items from yesterday year and bed stands are some of my favorites.
    That Camelliais absolutely gorgeous. Does this one have a heddy scent? Thank you for participating in Bonnie's Linky Party, aren't all of those quilts wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt!
    I do love your collection of embroidered,lacy linens. I have collected a few myself, some from family members, and just seeing them and touching them fills me with joy. (No wonder I make quilts!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Celia! your Doily collection is lovely! I too collect - have a drawer full of them and use them all around the house every day. As they wear, I put them into a special box .... one day I will make a bag or quilt using just those doilies as I will be quite happy to cut into them! Love the quilt on your daughter's bed too. I'm off to check out Bonnie's Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute totes and what a mass of pretty doilies! You are right - they are harder to get these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great music totes! The fabric is lovely and the stitching is awesome.
    Your Daughter's quilt is wonderful. I had never seen it on your blog, did I ?
    Também tenho uma espécie de colecção de toalhas bordadas, de toalhas e naperons de crochet, coisas que as minhas avós faziam e me deixaram. Um dia destes mostro.
    Beijos.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is lovely! I have accumulated a sizeable doily/embroidered "things" collection, too. Some day I will do something with them in addition to just possessing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful. I also have a lot of handmade doilies...some from my Grandmothers. I use them too. They always make me smile.
    The flowers are beautiful. We are just starting Spring and I can't wait for things to be in full bloom before it gets scorching hot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt and your collection is another great one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt and the old linens are lovely too. Wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Celia,
    quantas peças lindas. Adorei os saquinhos com motivos de jazz. A manta é um espetáculo aos olhos, de tão lindas cores. Os bordados, são uma maravilha, adoro! Realmente isso é o que chamamos aqui no Brasil "colírio para os olhos" de tão lindo de se ver e apreciar.

    Beijinhos e bom final de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a really beautiful collection of embroidered linens

    ReplyDelete
  13. Olá Célia,
    Que coleção maravilhosas!!!! Deve terem sido precisos muitos anos para ela crescer assim!!!
    Adorei os "totes" para teus companheiros de viagem!!! E não consegui deixar de ver o CD da Mariza no topo!!!:)))

    Beijinhos, Olívia

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely awesome your embroidered treasures!
    I am jealous... I’d spend all day (and night) admiring each detail on each and every one.

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...