Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Teddy Bear Quilt completed

I have done my first 'real' quilting project on the Handi Quilter. Every step of the way has been fun and I have learnt so much.  From loading the machine, to changing the needle, adjusting the tension and the actual sewing has been interesting.
Also collecting gorgeous threads has been fun (but expensive !).


I did not mark the quilt but instead decided to do loops around the edges and outline the applique.  I also did tiny loops inside the red flowers.  Doing the loops was very easy and fast but the outline requires a steady hand which I am still getting used to.


I made this quilt many years ago and has been in a bag along with another 10 or so waiting to be quilted. 

 The applique took several months to do back then. It's hand stitched using blanket stitch and has a fair bit of embroidery, beading as well as I added some buttons to accent the dresses and shoes of the teddy bears.  The lighting was not the best when I took the photo.
Looking at it with a critical eye, I think I should have quilted it more in the centre but I was afraid to overdoit. But as I said, it's all part of the journey of improving my skills and it's a lot better than having this top folded up in a bag and not being used at all.


On a quick project front, my daughter asked me to make her a couple of bags to store her Phone and ear plugs. 


This is what's making me happy in my garden....