Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tassellating Stars Quilt

Just completed the third of my gift quilts I'm taking with me as a gift when I travel to South Africa in early April for a family reunion.
This one is for my uncle who turns 80 years old.



Here's a closeup to show the quilting,  stars and swirls.



I have used this technique before years ago on a small quilt  and added some beads on the centre of each pinwheel.



The same technique can be found on Moda Bake Shop - Pinwhweel Twist
I  started with 100 , 6" squares of different solid fabrics.


Once the squares are joint together randomly, the top is marked with a template, recut and joint together to form the pinwheel.



Basicallly we only sew straight seams and the result looks more complicated than it really is.

~~~~~~~~~

Did a little fabric shopping yesterday that I want to share with you...

I bought a large enough piece to use as backing for a lap size quilt, but any suggestions on using on the quilt top itself are welcome !


Then I found this geometric pattern... I think this is my favourite fabric of all times at the moment. Don't know if I have the courage to cut it up !




And a few more small pieces for the stash....

7 comments:

  1. Love that quilt!!! Might have to make one of those! I have a pack of 80 plain squares. Would be a great way to use them. also love the cute fabric you bought - great backing but I would have to live with it for a while to decide what to make with it. The other fabrics are great too. Not sure i could but up the white either - maybe large blocks or a backing? Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uau o quilt é lindo. Precisava que as instruções fossem em português para poder perceber como se faz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one of those pinwheel quilts years ago too! It's funny how things come back again! There is a ruler now available that has brought the quilt back in demand.

    It's hard to know what to do with fabrics that you don't want to cut up. There are a lot of patterns for large scale prints that might work. I have never seen a fabric like the geometric with the people! How interesting! I would have to study and ponder and study some more! Let us know what you decide!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pinwheel quilt; it's the same design as the very first proper quilt that I made and that still lives on the bed as I love it so much. I'm planning to make another later this year, though I'm using a template to cut all the pieces individually. I've never seen your method, so will have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to make a pinwheel quilt. Definitely looks more complicated than it was to make. Those are the best kind of quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tessellating quilt looks fabulous, beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Celia,

    Your pin-wheel quilt is beautiful and will make a beautiful quilt. Have you thought of putting the material onto one of those artists panels that you paint on. It would look striking on the wall.
    happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...