Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Off to a good start ... Part 5 - Celtic Solstice and other fun...


Happy 2014 !
 
Part 5 of Celtic Solstice is complete.
This time I decided to start the blocks after checking out others postings as quilters came up with various methods of doing this block "Birds in the Air" (my birds have landed !) or also called "Shaded Four Patch" or "Hidden Square"  and even "Mary's Triangles".  In the end I used Bonnie's instructions using the Easy Angle ruler.
I am happy with the results.

 
The bird fabric sculptures were a gift from my talented friend Lynne and as usual, her creativity and beautiful crafted pieces are always a huge inspiration to me. We spent a whole day together this week in my sewing cottage and had such a fun day !
As part of my research for this block I looked into  Deb Tucker technique;  she uses her speciality ruler "Tucker Trimmer" which I don't have but there were two other ways I explored  to make this block. One method was foundation paper piecing Generations Quilt Patterns site   has this free block and many others in various sizes.  The easiest free tutorial I found was in Kati's blog. With her tutorial we don't need any specially rulers and no triangles are involved, so I had a play and came up with these blocks using my scraps. I would like to make an entire quilt using this method.
 

Let me share what else I have been doing:
My daughter loves cats so she asked me to make her a cat quilt to hang on her bedroom wall.  For a while now I have been following this Cat Quilt-along  and although there are various cat blocks I have decided to use the same block throughout the quilt. 
These are my practice blocks. The pieces are very small so I will be using scraps from my stash.
 
 
With a few days off from work I feel so relaxed to play even more with my scraps... these are 2 1/2 " blocks... got the idea from Bonnie Hunter.
The jelly roll was a gift from my friend Lynne... 


I played some more this week but I'll leave you with my latest favourite block...
Anita Grossman Solomon's block "Arrowhead" which I learnt from a Craftsy's class I purchased recently. 

I have some 'plans' for this block, so keep tuned....

Lynne and I enjoying afternoon tea....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...