Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hawaiian Dresden

Its been quite a while since I finished something substancial...
This quilt top began when I decided to use up my fabrics I purchased last year in Hawaii when I did a cruise of the islands.
My intension was to do a small lap quilt which would be quick and easy using the rulers... but it turned out a lot bigger than I intended. It measures about 83" (2.10 metres)...
When I completed 3 x 3 blocks, I still had a lot of fabric left, so I decided to add a few more blocks.... before I knew it I added the border and a few more dresden plates...
I still have a fair bit of fabrics left to add to my stash.
I like the way it turned out.
I won't be quilting it straight away and most likely will be sent away to be professionally done...

The photo is not the best as it was taken late in the afternoon on a cloudy day...



11 comments:

  1. Wow that is a beautiful quilt. Congratulations, don't wait to long to have it quilted, it is so very very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! It's beautiful. What a wonderful memento of your Hawaiian holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's absolutely stunning!!! I love dresden plates and you made a true work of art.Congratulations.
    Beijos,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! I love the polka dot centers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Goodness!!!! I love it! A wonderful modern quilt from a classic pattern and a great momento of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the gorgeous colors of the petals. How different! All the space in between can be filled with some lovely quilting designs to bring out the plates. Your layout is fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are so rich and vibrant! Definitely get it quilted soon!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to showcase your Hawaiian fabrics. It certainly did grow. We lived in Hawaii for 4 years but unfortunately I wasn't quilting then and didn't collect any of the beautiful prints.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - that is absolutely amazingly beautiful! I also like the squares you did below (in yellow and pink, etc.) One day I must learn to quilt properly. I can only sew rectangles together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is gorgeous, you did a beautiful job! I know how addicting dresdens can be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great, Celia! The smaller dresdens in the border work well - better than any idea I could have come up with! The centres tie the blocks together and make them pop! Fantastic!! Lynne at DCF

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...