Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Xmas quilt, Envelope Bag and more Scraps...

Last year I made a Xmas quilt to hang up on the wall above the piano.
It was made entirely from my stash and the pattern came from an Australian quilting magazine I subscribe.

Its hanging up again for this years' festive season. I had taken a photo of the completed top.



After completing last week's bag,  I was left with a smaller piece ofthe same fabric,  so I made a quick envelope bag.  May end up as a gift when I need one in a hurry.



Back to the scraps...........

The 'Crumb block' continues to occupy my imagination.  How to use these blocks in a quilt and incorporate other scraps to form new blocks and design settings.
Went over my  scraps and put aside the solid fabrics. I did not realise how many and varied they were, so I have already started another project to incorporate these. More of that in future blog posts..
I had some  "Dear Jane" blocks I started making years ago.  These blocks were made from my stash but  after a while I lost interest in that project. So, this is a good way of putting them to good use.

I came up with a unit made up of 9 blocks incorporating the Crumb block, a Dear Jane block and fabrics from a variety of charm packs. To tie it all together, I used my solid fabrics to make up the sashings...


In this unit the centre is the Dear Jane block but I may end up  using  another Crumb block.  I am still deciding  how to join all the units together; it will come once I have completed more of the units.
I have 4 so far...



Putting these blocks together has been an exercise in colour combinations and a great use of my scraps.  I have still so many of these smaller scraps left to keep my imagination going and came up with new blocks and projects...


5 comments:

  1. Hi Celia, You did a great job with the Christmas quilt - love the Envelope bag but my favourite from this post is your 9 block unit - can't wait to see more - isn't it magic how oyu can put scraps together and come up with something so pretty and I love scrap quilts coz they bring back memories of past projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I 'respect' my scraps because long time ago they were the special fabrics I enjoyed buying for a new project and 'they' can still be used up to create other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Christmas quilt is gorgeous!! I like you have many scraps and am just starting to realize that the possibilities are endless

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything you make is beautiful (i'm in love with the envelope bag). thanks for sharing the process and progress on the crumb block, very interesting indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like these! Great use integrating the crumb blocks. I'm slowly accumulating crumb blocks as I sit down and work on my hat box of crumbs but wasn't sure how to make the quilt look like it made sense. You've given me ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...